American System of Judging
Showmanship included in all Market and Breeding/Conformation or Performance Class Entries
RULES AND INFORMATION
- Entries in showmanship will be made at the same time as your market and breeding/conformation animal entries.
- Upon check in please be sure that you are entered in the correct class and are entered. If you are not the following applies:
- Large Animal Breeding: Within one hour of the close of check in.
- Large Animal Market: 6 pm on Monday following check-in.
- Small Animal Breeding: Within an hour of close of check in.
- Small Animal Market: Wednesday at 6 pm.
- Dairy/Replacement Heifers: Within an hour of close of check in.
- If you are not entered by those times, or are in the wrong class, you will not be allowed to participate in showmanship.
- Exhibitors shall be on hand and ready to exhibit at the time called for judging.
- Must OWN animal being exhibited, and they must show in the respective breeding/conformation or market classes.
- If exhibitor has two market animals and one is sifted for weight, the animal that makes weight must be used in showmanship.
- Independents 9 to 13 compete either in Novice or Intermediate with 4-H Members. 14 and older compete with FFA.
- Winner of Advanced showmanship for 4-H and FFA must commit to participating in master showmanship within one hour after completion of last competition. If you place 2ndin Advanced Showmanship check with the office to see if you are eligible to compete in the Master Show should the 1stplace winner decline, by 4:00 pm on Thursday.
- If Exhibitor WINS Advanced Showmanship in a Specie, the following years the Exhibitor must compete in Advanced showmanship in that specie.
- Breeding: Open to exhibitors representing San Joaquin County Only
4-H / Grange / Independent Showmanship
NOVICE SHOWMANSHIP: Open to 4-H, Grange and Independent exhibitors 14 and under, who have not shown any specie of animal at any Fair. Winner of this class may compete up in the next respective age class.
INTERMEDIATE SHOWMANSHIP: Open to 4-H, Grange exhibitors between the age of 9 and 14 as of January 1st. Winner of this class may compete in advanced class for premiums.
ADVANCED SHOWMANSHIP:Open to those 4-H or Grange exhibitors who are 15 years of age or older as of January 1st.
4-H / Grange / Independent Showmanship Age Groups
In Market Swine, Market Goats & Market Sheep sign up for Age Groups per your age as of January 1
- 9-year olds
- 10-year olds
- 11-year olds
- 12-year olds
- 13-year olds
- 14-year olds
- 15-year and above Advanced
Exhibitors winning their age group are eligible to move to the next age group to compete or to Advanced. (Note: If Exhibitor WINS Advanced Showmanship, the following years the Exhibitor competes, they must compete in Advanced in that specie. See Department 15 Rule #10.
FFA / Grange / Independent Showmanship
GREENHAND SHOWMANSHIP: Ownership established when exhibitor is a 9th grader. Winner may move to advanced.
TRUE NOVICE SHOWMANSHIP: Open to ANYONE who have not shown any specie of animal at any Fair? Winner of the class may compete in an advanced class for premiums.
ADVANCED SHOWMANSHIP: Exhibitors who have shown any specie of animal.
The owner may use animals entered into AgFest with good intention of qualifying for judging for showmanship even if the animal is disqualified by weight, or by the judge. Animals must be owned and fitted by the exhibitor to qualify. No nurse cows will be allowed in showmanship competition for safety reasons. All exhibitors must wear the official show uniform of the organization they represent.
DIVISION 1 – 4-H Master – Large Animal
DIVISION 2 – FFA Master – Large Animal
All 1st place winners from this year’s Advanced 4-H and FFA Showmanship in commercial gilts, breeding beef, breeding sheep, dairy cattle, dairy goats, Boer goats, market beef, market sheep, market swine and market goats are eligible to compete. An exhibitor winning more than one species of Advanced Showmanship must choose one specie to represent upon the completion of his/her last competition; the 2nd place winner of the remaining specie is then eligible to compete. If for any reason, the 1st place winner of a specie does not compete, then the 2nd place winner of that specie is eligible to compete. Please check with the livestock office for eligibility.
DIVISION 4 – 4-H Master – Small Animal
DIVISION 5 – FFA Master – Small Animal
All 1stplace winners from this year’s Advanced 4-H and FFA Showmanship in breeding poultry, breeding rabbits, market turkey, market poultry, meat rabbits, cavies and the best dog handler are eligible to compete. An exhibitor winning more than one species of Advanced Showmanship must choose one specie to represent upon completion of his/her last competition; the 2ndplace winner of the remaining specie is then eligible to compete. If for any reason, the 1stplace winner of a specie does not compete, then the 2ndplace winner of that specie is eligible to compete. Please check with the livestock office for eligibility. Master Showmanship animals used cannot be owned by any competing exhibitor.
MASTERS AWARDS: 4-H and FFA small and large animal master showmanship winners receive a jacket sponsored by AGFEST
Small Animal Exhibitors report to Beef Ring at 12:30 AM
Large Animal Exhibitors report to Beef Ring at 2:30 PM
MASTER SHOWMANSHIP EVENT
FRIDAY, JUNE 14th, 2019
Competitors report ringside in uniform
12:30pm For Small Animal Competition
2:30pm for Large Animal Competition
Small Animal at 1 pm ~ Large Animal 3 pm
Awards & Closing Ceremonies 5 pm